What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File content sensor can't see file path

Votes:

I'm trying to monitor a text log file with the file content sensor searching it for the word error in it. However, I get an error saying, "Cannot access file: The system cannot find the path specified(3) (code: PE031)."

I know the path is correct, the file does exist, and has text in it. I have a file age sensor pointing at the same file and it is able to return the correct age of the file, so I know the probe is able to navigate the path. I am using the file content sensor on other log files just like this one located in the exact same directory and are working just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

file-age file-content-sensor file-monitoring

Created on Jun 8, 2015 3:17:47 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Please try to change the log on account from the PRTG Probe Service to an account with elevated access rights and see if the sensors works afterwards. I assume, that the access rights of the local system account from the Probe Server might not be sufficient at this point.

Best regards

Created on Jun 10, 2015 12:06:03 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The account I am using is the local admin for the machine and I am able to get other file content sensors reading files in the same folder without issue using the same log on account, so I know it's not the account.

I ended up fixing this by using C$ instead of C:\ for the path on the sensors that weren't working. The others are still just using C:\. So, it's weird that some work and others don't, but it's not the big of a deal since it's working now.

Created on Jun 11, 2015 9:09:21 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.