What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Receiver Syslog - Regular expression

Votes:

Hello, I'm saving the syslog messages of a device with a sensor Syslog Receiver. I can apply some regular stores data in order to implement the alarms expression. Example: Receiver syslog message = 1622. Regular expression for the status Warning: (Receiver syslog message) <1620. Thanks

receiver regular-expression syslog

Created on Jun 9, 2015 7:40:11 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Regular expressions are not supported by the sensor filter fields, sorry! You have to enter the various IDs manually. In the message tab, you can enter them in the message field (they will be displayed as tags). When you're done, click the small gear in the top left of the table to get the proper filter string for the sensor settings.

Created on Jun 10, 2015 7:04:47 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is this still the case? Is there an easy way to get CLI access to syslogs either through a PRTG cli or windows native? The evl files I can find in the sensor logs seem to be binary files, not very good for parsing

Created on Nov 11, 2020 4:34:19 PM

Votes:

Yes, that's still the case, unfortunately. If you'd require the syslogs to be in an more explorable format, I'd recommend graylog, elkstack or splunk.

Created on Nov 12, 2020 7:57:31 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.