What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Traffic Monitoring via SNMP CISCO ASA Failover Cluster

Votes:

Hi!

I have a Problem Monitoring my Traffic on the created VLANS on a Cisco ASA Failover Setup. Traffic of every VLAN is monitored correctly as long as there is no Switch from the Primary ASA to the secondary ASA. In case of a Switch, there is a high traffic load on all VLANS (for example 10000Mbit) for some seconds.

I think every ASA has it's own Counters for traffic an they are not synched during a Failover.

Moinitoring of the VPN Connection is not enough for me, i need the traffic of every VLAN managed by the ASA.

Does anyone has an idea how to do this?

Thanks

cisco failover notifications prtg snmp

Created on Jun 13, 2015 8:13:30 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Configure SNMP on both ASA´s and add the sensor called SNMP Traffic. When adding this sensor you will see a list of physical interfaces and VLANs, choose what you need on both ASA´s.

Created on Oct 30, 2017 6:30:18 PM

Votes:

Hi!

That's exactly what we are doing. This ends in the problem in my question. So thanks but your answer is not really a help for me.

Created on Nov 1, 2017 8:46:06 PM

Votes:

Dear happylein,

The SNMP traffic sensors uses the standard IF-MIB counters. Unless the Cisco device offers a global counter, it might not be possible to get the overall traffic.

Created on Nov 2, 2017 2:11:08 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.