What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probe not working

Votes:

I installed an core on the HQ and try to bring up an remote Probe on a Location Monitoring PC with Windows 7. I already checked:

- acceppting connections from all IP's (Administraton Tool) - disabled Firewall on Core and Remote PC (for testing) - successfully installed remote probe on the PC. Entered Core Server Hostname

As far i understand the Docu, on the Core server should pop up an "new PRTG Server Connection" and i can approve and install Probes?

Are there some Logfiles on the Remote Probe Machine?

Regards

connection probe remote

Created on Jun 18, 2015 8:28:07 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

had the same Problem. So i try to help you. There are 2 ways to configure the connection for remote probes.

The first step: Setup / System Administration / Server / Probe: IP's for Connections with probe. I choosed the second Radio button (the middle one)

The Second: Same site: Allowed IP's: you can choose any for any or you specify the IP Adress from your remote probe.

You dont Need local Firewall rules. I tested it. You just need this two settings as above to setup your Server for incomming connections.

Dont Forget the Remote Probe Password. You have to set up in the Remote Probe. You also find this Key on the site where you setup your core Server.

Excuse my bad English. :)

Created on Jun 22, 2015 1:28:42 PM

Votes:

I forgot to fill the "Allow IP" List. I entered "any" , and the Log on the Remote Probe looks good now.

Every minute I also see an established session now for a few seconds.

But i cannot see the "remote Probe" in the Inventory. There should be a ticket to approve... i cannot see the ticket...

Regards

Created on Jun 23, 2015 8:53:45 AM

Votes:

now i got "Access denied for Probe at x.x.x.x (Probe/core handshake failed! This could be caused by incompatible software versions of core and probe.

Created on Jun 23, 2015 9:30:14 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

First, please open the PRTG Administrator Tool on the Remote Probe Device and enter a new Probe Access Key.

Afterwards, go to Setup > System Administration > Core & Probes and enter the exact key below the existing keys in the Access Key field and save the changes.

Does the Probe connect afterwards?

Best regards

Created on Jun 23, 2015 11:48:01 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK, works, thanks...

I thought the default " * " means "acceppt all keys" but that's not the case.

Created on Jun 24, 2015 9:10:42 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.