What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How often do settings get updated to failover node

Votes:

I have noticed that sometimes when I make changes, 20-30 minutes pass and they are not updated on failover node. How long does it take?

cluster failover prtg

Created on Jun 25, 2015 6:26:09 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Version 15.2.17.2804 already contains the synchronization improvements. I would advice against copying the configuration file manually. The configuration file can easily get corrupted if the Fail Over Node writes down the changes in the meanwhile. I'm afraid that depending on the configuration file size, changes might take some time to synchronize.

Best regards

Created on Jun 30, 2015 7:12:19 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Which version of PRTG are you using at the moment? We enhanced the synchronization within the last version, because it could get off sync in some cases.

This depends on multiple factors and cannot be generalized. The Master server will send small configuration changes immediately. Some greater changes to the configuration file will require a synchronization of the complete configuration file. This might for example occur if you change an object with many dependencies, especially in large installations. This mechanism will ensure that the synchronized data will always be consistent.

As the configuration file might become large depending on the number of objects, this might require some additional time - 20 to 30 minutes is indeed a long time here.

Best regards

Created on Jun 29, 2015 12:46:33 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Currently Installed Version 15.2.17.2804

Any way to have updates pushed immediately? Could I copy configuration file or would that screw up my cluster setup?

Created on Jun 29, 2015 1:44:16 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Version 15.2.17.2804 already contains the synchronization improvements. I would advice against copying the configuration file manually. The configuration file can easily get corrupted if the Fail Over Node writes down the changes in the meanwhile. I'm afraid that depending on the configuration file size, changes might take some time to synchronize.

Best regards

Created on Jun 30, 2015 7:12:19 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.