What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

View a site as an entity on a map

Votes:

I have about 150 sites, each with 2-15 devices. I'd like to create a PRTG map that shows each site as a symbol of some kind, with the status green if all sensors on all devices for that site are OK. How do you do that?

I've created a auto-descovery Group for each site, and the devices shows up under the Groups. But if I drag a Device Treemap on the the map it creates a block for every device, I'd like a block (or something) on "site-level". Is there such a property in PRTG?

groups maps site

Created on Jun 26, 2015 7:47:57 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

When you highlight the group or probe in the device tree, select a symbol from the symbol library - it will give show an overall state for the entire site and turn red/yellow if there's a sensor with down or warning state. Is that what you're looking for? :)

Created on Jun 29, 2015 12:01:48 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Ecce,

try "Status with Transparent Background" per Location Group from the Maps -> Status Panel (i think). That do the Trick for me.

hth Martin

Created on Jun 29, 2015 12:47:35 PM

Votes:

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately what you are suggesting is not what I'm looking for. Let me explain a bit more:

A have a Group called "Cities". In that Group is another group for each city, and each city holds a number of devices (switches, mostly). I whant to create a map that has a block/Icon for every city (New York, Boston, Chicago etc) that shows the city name and is green if all devices in that city are working. That way the map will be updated automatically when a new city is discovered. I don't need to know what devices is failing, just that some devices in that city is failing, then I can investigate further myself.

When I try whay you suggest above I just get an item saying "Cities" and "93" in green below.

If you have a Group of devices you can drag the Group onto a map using for example "Device Tree Small" or a "Treemap" and get the name and status, but it does not work for Groups containing Groups.

Created on Jun 30, 2015 6:13:45 AM

Last change on Jun 30, 2015 6:52:06 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Something like this?

Map example

Created on Jul 1, 2015 11:50:36 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yepp! Pretty much exactly like that. :)

Created on Jul 1, 2015 11:53:48 AM

Votes:

Very well then, here's what I did:

1. Mark the group (i.e. New York) in the device tree on the left
  2. Go to Default Icons C > select one of the city themed icons
  3. Drag it onto the map
  4. Done! :)

Created on Jul 1, 2015 12:58:21 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I guess you've dragged the cities onto the map one by one? That works for me also, but since I have hundreds of them I'd like to be able to drag the Cities Group onto the map and get an Icon for each sub-group (summarizing all devices in each sub-group like your image above). This seems to only work for devices in a Group, not for Groups in a Group.

Created on Jul 2, 2015 6:08:18 AM

Votes:

Yep, one by one. Creating items on a group basis automatically doesn't work however :( Sorry!

Created on Jul 2, 2015 7:11:07 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.