What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

The wait operation timed out (Performance Counter error 0x102)

Votes:

Custom Perfmon counter fails. It showed a working value for a few short periods but other than that it's only every shown an error.

Other perfmon counters to the same server work fine and the counter in question works fine from the Perfmon MMC.

The customer perfmon counter KB also doesn't describe what units are acceptable.

\MSExchange Replication(_total)\CopyQueueLength::

dag exchange replication

Created on Jun 29, 2015 3:16:53 PM

13 Replies

Votes:

What operating systems are you using (on your Exchange and the PRTG server)?

Created on Jun 30, 2015 6:11:50 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition for Exchange 2010. Server 2008 R2 for the PRTG server.

Created on Jul 2, 2015 2:00:36 PM

Last change on Jul 3, 2015 8:34:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Strange - have you tried increasing the interval for those specific counters? Additionally, you can use any character as unit - it should resemble the value however :)

Created on Jul 3, 2015 8:41:46 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So just to clarify - the Units value is purely a label and has no bearing on if the data is displayed correctly?

I've recreated that counter and set it to check every 5 minutes rather than our default of every 60 seconds, and I still get the same error.

I can read the counter successfully from the Perfmon mmc with checks in any interval I like from 1 per second upwards.

Created on Jul 3, 2015 9:34:20 AM

Votes:

Yep, purely a label. Could you try to install a remote probe on the server to see if it runs more stable then?

Created on Jul 3, 2015 9:40:01 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'd suggest the KB page https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/perfcounter_custom_sensor be updated to make that clear. I've been tearing my hair out trying to find what I need to set Units to.

Adding a separate probe seems excessive for a single perfmon counter. I've also tried creating a new custom sensor copying and pasting the values from the example for a different machine and get the same result.

Interestingly I also get the same error if I try to add the "PerfCounter IIS Application Pool" sensor. All our other Perfmon checks seem to be coming in via WMI.

Created on Jul 3, 2015 10:05:54 AM

Votes:

Have you seen this thread already? Especially everything performance counter related, starting with "The re-enable performance counters option".

Created on Jul 6, 2015 5:58:36 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That article seems to be talking about fixing things on the server being monitored, however the counters work fine through PerfMon both locally and remotely so I'm not sure how it's relevant.

Created on Jul 6, 2015 10:20:01 AM

Votes:

Sorry for the delay in publishing/responding. What happens when you actually pause and resume the sensor when it's in error state? Does it work properly then?

Created on Jul 8, 2015 9:56:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Pausing then resuming makes no difference. I get the same result on a couple of different checks to separate servers from the same probe.

I've just created a new check from a different probe to double check things and that one is mostly working, although every third entry in an error - it's consistently recording two values then erroring, then recording another two values and erroring again. If I check the event log in PRTG it shows "The wait operation timed out (Performance Counter error 0x102)" here too as the error condition when it's failing.

Created on Jul 8, 2015 11:53:02 AM

Votes:

Any update on this? Restarting the probe services occasionally gives us a short period of successful monitoring, but it always fails again before long.

Created on Oct 19, 2015 1:16:34 PM

Votes:

Did you already consider deploying a Remote Probe directly onto the target server? Then the monitoring would be local via localhost which usually is much less troublesome.

Created on Oct 20, 2015 12:19:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, restart of PRTGProbeService on the PRTG server solve the problem. But it is workaround.

Created on Aug 3, 2020 9:58:22 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.