What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Automatic logout

Votes:

Hey guys,

i have a question about the automatic logout function within the user interface settings of PRTG.

We authenticate against an AD and i have set the automatic logout at 30 mins in the user interface settings. Now we have an exception to this rule, by adding 2 non AD users with seperated rights to only view a part of the device tree, we want to make maps and use the 2 non AD users to authenticate when they open the map.

With the current settings those users will logout after 30 mins of inactivity (no mouse/key board activity within PRTG). I was wondering if i can make an exception in the logout policy for those 2 users.

is it possible to accomplish this?

groups logout users

Created on Jun 29, 2015 3:52:42 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your KB-Post. Can you please share a screenshot, showing which exact setting you've set to 30 minutes?

Thank you!

Created on Jul 1, 2015 11:43:23 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

My apologies for the slow response. I've uploaded the screenshot, so here is the link: http://imgur.com/nN8eheC

Kind regards, Roy

Created on Jul 2, 2015 7:19:31 AM

Votes:

I apologize, somehow I managed to overlook this setting yesterday. Thanks for the screenshot! I'm afraid this is indeed a global setting, there is no way to break it down, or change it for certain accounts only.
Would it help to give these two "users" links to public Maps from PRTG. Public Maps do not require a login, and thus have no timeout.

Created on Jul 2, 2015 7:47:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What would be the security consequence if we would "bypass" the login function and give them links to the public maps?

Another question about this functionality: Is it possible to script user input to keep the 30 min session alive? Does PRTG allow this?

Created on Jul 2, 2015 9:30:19 AM

Votes:

There should be no security consequences with public maps. Users will only see what you've put on public maps. Scripting access would not really be recommended.

Created on Jul 2, 2015 11:10:37 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is there any chance that they will bring back the ability to control timeouts? I have some users/dashboards that can stay logged in forever since they have no permissions. Please bring it back!

Created on Aug 3, 2016 12:59:13 PM

Votes:

Currently there are no plans to bring this setting back on a per-User-basis. There is an Automatic Logout setting for all users though under System Administration - User Interface. If you do not want to set this for all users, consider using the Enterprise Console, it will keep users logged in regardless of this setting, and public maps for dashboards.

Created on Aug 4, 2016 7:07:17 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.