What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor my TP-link Router's traffic and bandwidth which does not support SNMP protocol?

Votes:

I have a TP link router model(TL- wr720n) which does not support snmp protocol. Now i want to monitor my router traffic and bandwdth from my desktop connected via lan cable. is it possible? if it is, then how?

Thanks in advance.

Sadi

bandwidth monitoring router snmp

Created on Jun 29, 2015 7:08:36 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello

This depends on whether the router you want to monitor supports protocols that PRTG uses, it doesn't have to be SNMP, but there needs to be some way for PRTG to get that data.

PRTG also support Flow and other types of bandwidth monitoring, ultimately there has to be some metric that PRTG can query for that to work. Please see this list of supported bandwidth sensors.

You can check if there are alternative firmware images for the router that would then support SNMP, please be aware that this is something you'd perform at own risk and we can't assist you in that as is will probably also void the device's warranty.

Most enterprise-grade devices will support SNMP by default.

The list of all available sensors can be found at https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/available_sensor_types.htm

If there is only a single device connected to the router, you could monitor the traffic of the local network interface, as long there is only one device connected to the router, the values should match the values of WAN utilization.

Created on Jun 30, 2015 9:56:47 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

If you have a managed switch there is a workaround for this.

Plug all you interfaces from the router into a managed switch. Create a vlan for each of these interfaces and put the other connection into this same vlan in the same manner. This is also handy if you need to do remote cable changes after hours, makes it much easier to do.

Created on Jul 2, 2015 11:56:05 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.