What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

AD User Group Settings, Members list empty

Votes:

I'm attempting to configure two active directory groups for PRTG based on the nature of the alerts. I have logical separation between Critical and the rest of the sensors within PRTG for the notifications.

Two AD groups. ITalerts ITcritical

User group in PRTG Critical - ITcritical (AD) Alerts - ITalerts (AD)

Critical sensors I'd like to send to User group "Critical" which would populate from AD group ITcritcal.

Normal sensors would be sent to User group "Alerts" which should populate from AD group ITalerts.

Through all the previous KB's I've read through, I believe I have it configured properly. However, the list will not populate with the users from Active Directory Distribution group.

Thoughts or suggestions?

active-directory notifications prtg15 user-group

Created on Jun 30, 2015 4:12:18 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

The AD users have to login once in order for the groups to get populated - did you try that?

Created on Jun 30, 2015 6:18:34 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've tried with my user name that would be in both those groups. Did not populate the list.

Now do all four users have to login to PRTG before they pull over or just populate as they login?

Created on Jun 30, 2015 6:28:22 PM

Votes:

But you're able to login anyway? Are those nested AD groups?

Created on Jun 30, 2015 6:36:22 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I was able to login with my account correct.

They are not nested to my knowledge. Within AD U&C module server 2008 domain.local > Users > "ITcritical" group and "ITalerts" group are where I've defined membership.

Created on Jun 30, 2015 6:49:40 PM

Votes:

Can you try the other accounts - are they listed when they login?

Created on Jul 1, 2015 6:20:13 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

One person won't be back in office until after the holiday weekend so we will have to try his when he gets back to the office.

I'll have the other two in the group login and report back with results once all four have performed a first login.

Do they need to stay logged in for any length of time to populate the list?

Created on Jul 2, 2015 12:11:00 PM

Votes:

I was mistaken before when I said I could login with my AD credentials. Local user login names are same name as AD credentials. Had the same PRTG local user password as my AD password.

Ex. local user :"aheath" AD username : "aheath"

Apologies for the confusion.

Created on Jul 2, 2015 12:18:05 PM

Votes:

The group gets populated as soon as he's logged in. Since the username is the same, this is probably the problem. Can you try with a distinct username?

Created on Jul 2, 2015 1:29:55 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That does appear to be issue we were experiencing. However it seems like AD integration seems to be for login administration purposes only and not to allow PRTG to send alerts/notifications to certain AD distribution groups?

Bottom line what we are looking for is to have two sections within PRTG. Standard and Critical. Standard group notifications would go to a distribution group [email protected] and critical group alerts would go to [email protected]. This way we can prioritize based on what email address it's from.

Any thoughts?

Created on Jul 6, 2015 1:14:11 PM

Votes:

You can create those two groups within PRTG and then send them directly to those groups. The mail addresses will be fetched from all the users within that group.

Alternatively, you can setup contacts that have those accounts configured and you simply send them to the users.

Created on Jul 7, 2015 7:40:18 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.