What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can i start a service based on a failed service from another machine?

Votes:

Hi There, I am trying to automate a failover based on services. The scenario is this:

If Server A have Service A fail for x minutes and fails to restart itself Server B should start Service A on itself.

This would result in me having a series of monitors checking several services on Server A, if they all fail to come back online after say 5 minutes, the services are started on a DR server.

The application doesn't have the option in itself so I am looking for a clever way around it to save being woken at stupid o'clock.

Thanks

Paul

failover remote-commands windows-services

Created on Jul 2, 2015 9:07:35 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

You can create a notification that will start the service or run whatever script you want.

However I do not think there is a checkbox feature that will do that.

Created on Jul 2, 2015 12:46:30 PM

Votes:

Maybe make a notification which execute a script which by remote start up the service on server B?

Never done it myself, but I see you can make a Notification that execute a program under your account settings and making a new notification.

Then go to the sensors your want and apply it there.

Created on Jul 2, 2015 12:51:45 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.