What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to check which sensors belongs to group test ?

Votes:

Hi, Firstly i would like to say that PRTG is perfect software for monitoring with a lot of tools and possibilities. So sometimes this possibilities makes me confused, so i faced one problem. I've add new group "test" and add there 3 sensor only via SNMP just read only. All other sensors are hidden in this group. So as administrator i would like to see which sensors belongs to which group ? i mean who can see it. Now i've only demo and it's limited with sensors, but in future if i would have 1500 sensors and several groups, how can i define which sensors are visible for which group ?

Thanks in advance for any support.

groups prtg sensor snmp

Created on Jul 3, 2015 11:30:18 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hey Zimmer,

The groups in PRTG are only "Usergroups" not for sensors.

You can create sensors under an object and than you can change the rights to the full object or to the single sensors.

Ex.:

Microsoft 2012 Server

- Ping

- HDD capacity

If you want to put the single sensors into "groups" than call it "Library" and tag the sensors to them. You can look at the documentation here (https://www.paessler.com/support/how-to/libraries). The negative point is, that you can't create access policies to single sensors this way, only the access to the library is editable.

Maybe both together, like to us :D, is what you need.

Sascha

Created on Jul 8, 2015 7:40:06 AM

Last change on Jul 13, 2021 12:29:04 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

3 Replies

Votes:

Hey zimmer,

this is easy to make. PRTG supporting Groups, so you can differ your users into difrent groups(IT/Marketing/CEO/usw.) and make the sensors visible only for the groups you want.

On the sensorsettings "Accessrights" (i think this is the name of the point, i've only got the german version) you can set the rights to all of your groups (nothing, only-read, read-write, super-write).

Think this could help you.

If you need further assistant, text me here.

Sascha

Created on Jul 7, 2015 9:57:36 AM

Votes:

Hello Sascha, Thank you for your reply. In your case i've to check each sensors for group, as i understand right. I need to check which sensors belongs to which group. For instance : Administrator created new group and named it test, later he put there 10 sensors. I saw that new group was created (test) but which sensors was added to that group i can't find. Thanks in advance.

Created on Jul 7, 2015 11:09:45 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hey Zimmer,

The groups in PRTG are only "Usergroups" not for sensors.

You can create sensors under an object and than you can change the rights to the full object or to the single sensors.

Ex.:

Microsoft 2012 Server

- Ping

- HDD capacity

If you want to put the single sensors into "groups" than call it "Library" and tag the sensors to them. You can look at the documentation here (https://www.paessler.com/support/how-to/libraries). The negative point is, that you can't create access policies to single sensors this way, only the access to the library is editable.

Maybe both together, like to us :D, is what you need.

Sascha

Created on Jul 8, 2015 7:40:06 AM

Last change on Jul 13, 2021 12:29:04 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.