What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Prtg Backup monitor

Votes:

Hi there, My prtg backup monitor (mail scanner) is set to check for errors for the past 24 Hours. It means that if i get an error, i have it for 24 hours. Is there any way to stop the error automatically when the same backup event is successful?

Can you offer a good way to setup this sensor for efficient backup monitoring of different systems? I would like to see an error with the specification of the backup program ( or event the job\set itself containing the computer name) and i would like the error to stop in case of a successful backup of the same machine.

Thanks.

backup-monitor backup-monitoring mail-sensor

Created on Jul 5, 2015 5:38:09 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

We've setup the IMAP sensor to notify if it doesn't see a success email in the last X hours rather than looking for error messages.

This gave us the benefit of flagging an error if the email delivery failed or reporting was blocked in any fashion. Also, if a success email is then seen, the sensor will update itself.

The downside is if you have a break over the weekend as all the sensors will flag as failed due to no recent backup. (The reason I'm here as I was about to post looking for a way around that)

Created on Jul 6, 2015 10:07:05 AM

Votes:

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Please clarify: If my scan interval is 24 Hours, and i get an error message - the sensor will turn to error state. Lets say that after 3 hours i get a success message, will the sensor go back to normal state? or it will stay in error state for ther following 21 hours?

Created on Jul 6, 2015 11:04:46 AM

Votes:

Dear ratnerefim

With a scanning interval of 24 hours, any state will be kept for those 24 hours.

The only way to get a quicker update, is to use a smaller scanning interval.

With the newer versions of PRTG, you can set a small list of set times when a sensor should scan. You could use this to scan at a particular time and to some re-scans later.

Created on Jul 6, 2015 4:36:43 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.