What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitor a folder on nas synology

Votes:

I want to monitor a folder located on a synology NAS but my probe say:

Login failed: Logon failure: unknown user name or incorrect password (1326) (code: PE029).

Can i monitor a folder if it's not a windows folder ?

folder-sensor nas synology username

Created on Jul 10, 2015 3:29:56 PM

Last change on Jul 14, 2015 8:43:24 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello maianoinfo, thank you for your inquiry.

If you're using the Folder Sensor it should work, it is compatible with Windows SMB Shares and SAMBA shares, Synology must implement some type of SAMBA server.

Otherwise please check the following KB article for further troubleshooting:

What can I do if PRTG doesn't succeed with monitoring a Share

Created on Jul 14, 2015 8:42:37 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Oct 28, 2016 10:27:59 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

When you state: "Double check that you've provided the correct credentials within Credentials for Windows Systems" can you please tell me, are you referring to Windows Credential Manager within Control Panel on the server containing the installation of PRTG? or are you referring to some Credentials Systems built into PRTG?

Created on Oct 27, 2016 7:42:33 PM

Votes:

Hello cppi,
thank you for your reply.

... within the settings of the parent device.

The sensor will have a "parent device", for instance, named "Synology" or whatever you've named it. Within this object's settings, scroll down until you locate the Credentials for Windows Systems. There, enter the domain, username and password which should be use for the SMB connection.

Please beware the following:

• This sensor counts all files in a folder, including hidden files.
  • To monitor files on a Windows share, the "LanmanServer" Windows service must run on the target computer.

Please refer to the following KB-post:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 28, 2016 10:32:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.