New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Error #5

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Support,

In my PRTG installation, we use PRTG to monitor FortiGate firewalls using SNMP v2c. Some of our sensors (SNMP Custom / SNMP Custom String) when getting back the data from target, they would induce a Generic Error (SNMP error # 5) error in the sensors. Checking the Sensor Log would look like this:

11.07.2015 16:10:09	Sensor-NAME	Warning	
Generic Error (SNMP error # 5)
11.07.2015 16:09:39	Sensor-NAME	Up	
0 #
11.07.2015 16:09:39	Sensor-NAME	Warning	
11.07.2015 16:09:09	Sensor-NAME	Up	
0 #
11.07.2015 16:09:09	Sensor-NAME	Warning	
11.07.2015 16:08:39	Sensor-NAME	Up	
0 #
11.07.2015 16:08:39	Sensor-NAME	Warning	

Sometimes the sensor would be in Down State after not receiving a valid input from multiple samples.

You could see that the sample would first cause a error, then getting the correct value from the devices. These events happen in many FortiGate Devices we monitored and the happening OID is random. Sometimes it could be fixed by pausing and then resume, but it may be down again soon after.

Any workaround on the issue?

error error-#5 snmp

Created on Jul 13, 2015 10:45:42 AM by  Eric Cheng (0) 1

Last change on Jul 13, 2015 10:59:18 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I've seen the same thing happen randomly a few times the last couple months. When it happens it will take the entire snmp polling down on the probe and display the same error you are seeing, then the kicker is it generates 100's of alerts when it happens. I've opened cases with Paessler and cant say I have gotten anywere on it, would love know why it happens. Only fix I have for you is to run everything on a cluster probe as the secondary probe will keep everything from going into a completely down state.

Will be tagging along on this one as I would love an answer to this one.

Created on Jul 13, 2015 5:41:01 PM by  kube1984 (550) 3 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello Eric Cheng, thank you for your contact.

Could you provide a bit more of detail?

• Do the sensors usually work uninterruptedly and occasionally return the SNMP error # 5?
  • When a SNMP Sensor on that devices returns that error codes, do all sensors on the device fail or just that single sensor?
  • What version of PRTG are you running?
  • In your log, all failed requests happened between 16:08:39 and 16:10:09, did other sensors fail at that time? Does the issue happen regularly or at random?
  • What the scanning interval for the custom sensors? Do standard sensors like "SNMP Traffic" or "SNMP Uptime" also fail?

Created on Jul 15, 2015 11:47:06 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Support,

1. There are mixed cases, some of them would be doing good first (i.e. never got a error) and then suddenly #5 with OK messages came together. Sometimes would be #5 with OK right after sensor creation. Sensors having this problem could have value 0 or valid int value.

2. On around 10 sensors per device, Just 2-3 failed, while others could keep going even with #5 occasionally. Some does not have the #5 at all. Our stock of FortiGate ranges from 60B, 60D, 80CM, 90D, 100D, 110C

3. Version 15.1.14.1778 x64

4. Some sensors is happening regularly (i.e. all sampling points at anytime are like this). Some occasionally have the error.

5. Interval is 30 sec, We used SNMP Traffic, SNMP System Uptime as well but does not have this #5 error, but some devices have log showing pending state:

12.07.2015 20:48:00 Sensor-Name Unknown No data since 12.07.2015 20:46:25

and usually recovered 1 or 2 sampling point after. we thought it might be network problem hence does not look into details.

Created on Jul 16, 2015 3:30:23 AM by  Eric Cheng (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello Eric Cheng

We'll need more details/logs/system details to be able to troubleshoot this.

May I ask you to contact us from the Contact Support form within PRTG? Please forward us a Support Bundle including the system log files for analysis.

Please mention this KB article in the "comments" field.

Created on Jul 16, 2015 1:46:19 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.