What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Allow SNMP access to Local Probe on PRTG server

Votes:

I would like to add a custom SNMP sensor to the Local Probe on my PRTG server, but this fails with SNMPERR_BAD_SENDTO (SNMP error # -12). I understand this is because the Local Proble is fixed to the IP address 127.0.0.1, while the outgoing probes use 192.168.1.1. Testing with the Paessler SNMP Tester I am able to access the relevant OID on 192.168.1.1 but not on 127.0.0.1. I have looked for the option to change the IP address from 127.0.0.1 for the Local Probe device but can't see where to change it. What is the recommended way to add an SNMP sensor to the Local Probe?

error ip-address local-probe snmp

Created on Jul 13, 2015 8:02:45 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Lomax,

We had similar cases where the monitoring of the local probe via SNMP failed. The best solution will be to add a new device with the private IP address of the PRTG Server, 192.168.1.1 in this particular case, and add the SNMP Sensors to this device.

Best regards

Created on Jul 14, 2015 9:03:48 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.