What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cisco ASR1001 Bandwith Monitoring SNMP v3

Votes:

I'm trying to monitor the bandwith of some interfaces on a Cisco ASR1001 using snmp v3. The credentials are valid but i can only see the uptime nothing more. I already tried to import a mib from cisco but this doesn't seem to help. Is there a mib already builtin in PRTG which i can use in my case or does someone is having a valid mib ? Many thanks in advance.

asr1001 cisco snmpv3-

Created on Jul 14, 2015 6:27:45 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello rienecke, we appreciate your contact.

If you're able to create an SNMP SystemUptime Sensor then the SNMP credentials must be correct.

Have you tried adding the standard SNMP Traffic Sensor? What's the result?

If the above fails, please check with our SNMP Tester if you can walk the IfMib (1.3.6.1.2.1) using our tester on the PRTG Host. If that fails, please double check the SNMP configuration in your device, some devices implement filtering so that only specific OID's can be read.

This guide can assist you in General SNMP Troubleshooting:
My SNMP sensors don't work, what can I do?

Best regards,

Created on Jul 14, 2015 8:52:51 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

We've received rienecke's SNMP Walk.

Additionally, hi's error message within PRTG is:

Could not create the sensor SNMP Traffic on device <DEVICE> (<DEVICENAME>)  (<DEVICEADDRESS>).

No available interfaces on this device (code: PE049)

Please check the following resources:
You can define the displayed sensor name with port name templates in the SNMP Compatibility Options of the parent device.
Knowledge Base: How do PRTG's automatic port name and number updates work for SNMP traffic sensors?
Knowledge Base: Where is the volume line in graphs?
For a general introduction to the technology behind SNMP, please see the manual section Monitoring via SNMP.

Based on the output of his walk's log, the issue is that:

• For 32bit counters the traffic in/out OIDs are missing (1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.x and 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.x)
  • For 64bit counters the ifname is missing (1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.1)

This could be either an "SNMP Security Feature" of the device (Restrict access to some tables).
It could also be a issue within the SNMP Agent on the device, in that case it's worth checking if the device is running the latest firmware/os available.

You can also try contacting the device's vendor and report these findings. For any further assistance, we're glad to help.

Created on Jul 15, 2015 5:55:10 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 15, 2015 5:57:37 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.