What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Description Not Updating

Votes:

My cisco devices get their ports renamed fairly frequently. At one point in time, descriptions would eventually update but that doesn't appear to be the case at this point. Is there a setting I may be missing that's not updating as needed?

cisco description prtg

Created on Jul 15, 2015 4:34:23 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello cgross, we appreciate your contact.

Have you checked the SNMP Compatibility options within the parent device? Is it set to Automatic sensor name update if name changes in device ?

For more details on automatic port naming update please check this KB article: Knowledgebase: Automatically update port name and number [...]

Best Regards,

Created on Jul 16, 2015 3:54:00 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Luciano,

I found that wasn't set correctly and changed it. I then restart the core and probe services and I'm still not seeing port names updating.

Created on Jul 27, 2015 6:53:06 PM

Votes:

Hello, please confirm that you're running the Latest PRTG version as this information applies to the latest version. What Port Name Template are you using and what Port Identification settings are you using?

Please try using the following the following Port Name Template:

[1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18] -- ([ifname])

Additionally did you review this document?
KB: Automatically update port name and number [...]

Created on Jul 28, 2015 10:47:18 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Luciano,

I discovered the problem was some of my Cisco devices weren't updating properly with the default, while others were. I changed it to the SNMP string mentioned and boom it works!

To note, it was Cisco 3600x's that weren't updating. All other models were.

Created on Jul 30, 2015 1:22:06 PM

Last change on Jul 30, 2015 2:45:39 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello cgross, thank you for your feedback.

There must be a difference in the SNMP configuration of those devices for the sensor to behave differently on those devices, but it's great to hear that you got it working.

Could also be that they have different SNMP agent implementations, in that case there probably isn't much configuration to be done.

Created on Jul 30, 2015 2:45:21 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.