What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

CPU WMI senser discover wrong number of cores

Votes:

Hi,

We have a server with 48 cores CPU (2x2x12) , however PRTG WMI CPU sensors auto-discover only find 32 cores. What should I do to fix it?

Remark : The OS is Windows Server 2008

Thanks.

cores cpu prtg sensor server-2008 wmi

Created on Jul 16, 2015 9:21:12 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear Daniel

This is one of the intricacies with WMI. Since the WMI query is performed by a 32 bit application (the PRTG probe service always runs in 32 bit mode) the WMI interface only reports hardware parameters supported by a 32 bit Windows. This limits the detection to 4 GB of RAM and 32 CPU cores.

We are still looking for ways around this, but there is no fix in the foreseeable future.

Created on Jul 16, 2015 4:12:36 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Arne.

I find that PRTG can monitoring that server with 128GB RAM (not only 4GB). Do I miss understanding your meaning? Thanks.

Created on Jul 17, 2015 1:38:20 AM

Votes:

I would ask one more question.

Since this kind of WMI sensors limitation will not show any "error" message, maybe there is existing some other sensors have similar limitation. Would you list such kind of sensors? Then I can check manually for those sensors.

Thanks.

Created on Jul 17, 2015 6:44:55 AM

Votes:

Dear Daniel

We don't have such list. For many sensors, PRTG uses both WMI and Performance Counters (usually Performance Counters first, if that fails, WMI.) Depending on the technology used, a sensor can return different results in certain cases.

Usually the sensor results are reliable, there are however some limitations regarding unusual configurations like a computer with 48 CPU cores. PRTG is limited to the interface providing the monitoring data.

Created on Jul 20, 2015 11:48:23 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Arne for your information.

Anyway we find that the server can be monitoring 48 CPU by using SNMP CPU sensor. So, maybe we will use SNMP. Thanks for your help.

Created on Jul 24, 2015 7:28:30 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.