What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I be sure which probe monitors a device?

Votes:

Hi

How can I be sure which probe is currently monitoring a device?

We have multiple probes and physical sites. Originally everything was sent from the master probe. Now we have other local probes (one at each site). If I click on a device its not clear which probe is monitoring it.

(it seems it is possible to move a group of devices from one probe to another, though I would like to confirm in which probe a device is placed).

thanks

Edit: Formatting/minor revision.

devices monitoring moving probe probes remote-probe

Created on Jul 16, 2015 2:20:45 PM

Last change on Jul 17, 2015 10:55:07 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello ds, thank you for your inquiry.

You can spot the probe that currently monitors a device in the 'Breadcrumbs' below the main menu navigation within the interface. Please see the Global Header Area Manual for further details.

As an example, please check the image below(ignore any of the highlights as they are irrelevant in this case), you can see on the upper-left corner, below the devices menu option, that the probe from this device is the "Probe on NEMO-V..", if you left-click on the probe's name it will show the complete name of the probe in question and the list of probes:

Thumbnail Factory Sensor Full-resolution Image

For further clarification on how probes work

All probes (Local and Remote) will collect data and send it to the core server(s) for processing. You can move devices or whole groups of devices between probes, please note that this may affect monitoring if the remote probe in question can't reach the end-devices.

For more details:
PRTG Manual: Remote Probes and Multiple Probes

Created on Jul 17, 2015 10:53:09 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.