What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Oracle Monitoring using Ado SQL

Votes:

Are there any recommandations, what to install on a Windows Server 2012R2 to monitor tables in Oracle Schemas using ADO SQL (so without the Oracle SQL Sensor - because we do not want to place the sensor on the Oracle server but on the applicationserver, so even if you don't have the permission to view the database server, you can still use some database monitoring using SQL)? I don't want to install a full Oracle SQL Client on my PRTG cluster nodes. Or are there any thirdparty drivers (OLEDB oder ODBC) you'd recommend?

Thank you

ado-sql-sensor driver odbc ole-db oracle

Created on Jul 22, 2015 7:49:14 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Couldn't you simply add the database server as a device and put the Oracle v2 server there? There's nothing that would be installed on the actual oracle server. The sensor just uses the server address and the DB credentials from "Credentials for Database Management Systems" to connect to the database.

If you insist to use the connection strings, .NET 3.5 should come with an OracleClient.dll that allows ADO to work - Connection Strings for Oracle.

However, I'm not sure what versions of Oracle are compatible to ADO :/

Created on Aug 5, 2015 12:47:36 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Votes:

Did you already tey the Oracle SQL v2 sensor? You don't need the
client any longer with that:

Requirements

• Requires .NET 4.0 on the probe system.
  • Define Credentials for Database Management Systems in settings that are higher in the Object Hierarchy, for example, in the parent device settings.
  • Your SQL query must be stored in a file on the system of the probe the sensor is created on: If used on a remote probe, the file must be stored on the system running the remote probe. In a cluster setup, please copy the file to every cluster node.
  • Save the SQL script with the query into the \Custom Sensors\sql\oracle subfolder of your PRTG installation. See manual section Data Storage for more information about how to find this path.
  • This sensor type supports Oracle database servers version 10.2 or higher.
  • This sensor type supersedes the outdated Oracle SQL sensor. We recommend you to use this new sensor to monitor Oracle SQL databases.
  • Important notice: Currently, this sensor type is in beta status. The methods of operating can change at any time, as well as the available settings. Do not expect that all functions will work properly, or that this sensor works as expected at all. Be aware that this type of sensor can be removed again from PRTG at any time.

You could also use the ADO SQL sensor and the corresponding oracle connection string (http://www.connectionstrings.com/oracle/). Although the sensor doesn't offer as much flexibility as the Oracle SQL v2 sensor in terms of result evaluation.

Created on Jul 24, 2015 8:04:07 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 24, 2015 8:06:31 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I can not use the Oracle SQL v2 sensor, because the user who wants to see SQL Data is not allowed on the Oracle servers, so I wanted to put the sensor on a server, he's allowed to access. To use oracle ADO SQL, you need to install some parts of the oracle client. Do you know,what needs to be installed? In Server 2012 R2 MS dropped support for the build-in oracle odbc client.

Created on Aug 4, 2015 2:37:48 PM

Votes:

I'm not sure if I get you correct, but the Oracle SQL v2 sensor doesn't need anything to be installed on the oracle servers. It just needs valid credentials in order to access it :)

Created on Aug 4, 2015 5:25:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The server I want to put the sensor on is not the databaseserver, it's an applicationserver. If I use the Oracle SQL v2 sensor, I can give a system ID but no server name, connectstring, ...

That's why I need to use ADO SQL, if the Oracle SQL v2 sensor would support giving a servername and so on (so the full extract of the connection string ie. and the username / password for the user used to connect).

Created on Aug 5, 2015 11:24:45 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Couldn't you simply add the database server as a device and put the Oracle v2 server there? There's nothing that would be installed on the actual oracle server. The sensor just uses the server address and the DB credentials from "Credentials for Database Management Systems" to connect to the database.

If you insist to use the connection strings, .NET 3.5 should come with an OracleClient.dll that allows ADO to work - Connection Strings for Oracle.

However, I'm not sure what versions of Oracle are compatible to ADO :/

Created on Aug 5, 2015 12:47:36 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Adding the Oracle server and a oracle v2 Sensor works for me, but only for single servers. Do you have an idea how to add an Oracle RAC? It's just not one servername.

Created on Aug 14, 2015 8:30:21 AM

Votes:

Sorry, we don't have any experiences with Oracle RAC. Guess you have to create multiple devices then ...

Created on Aug 14, 2015 9:04:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay, what I did now is: I created both RAC nodes as a server and created Sensors (Oracle SQL/Oracle SQL v2/Custom Script (for a query where the rows (channnels) given, change dynamically) for both of them. Than I build a new Device and put Sensor Factory sensors on it and combinded the sensors from both nodes into one.

Thank you.

Created on Aug 20, 2015 12:26:00 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.