For our project we need to receive traps in v2c and filter them in three cateogories:
- hardware traps on the error channel
- interface traps on the alert channel
- all other traps on the messages channel
We have chosen the exact Trap OIDs that we need to be alerted about. The enterprise filter did not work for any trap, it seems like it is supported only for SNMPTrap v1. In any case, the received traps do not contain anything in the "Enterprise" column.
We have therefore used the bindings filter but we do not fully understand how it works. It seems like the filter accepts many more traps than wanted.
- the bindings[snmpTraps.3] filter accepts traps like: "RFC1253-MIB::ospf.16.2.12", "BRIDGE-MIB::topologyChange" and several enterprise OIDs.
- the bindings[some hardware trap] filter also accepts interface-related traps like snmpTraps.3
Here are our questions:
- how exactly does the "bindings" filter work? how come it accepts trap messages that do not contain the required text at all?
- Is it possible with PRTG to have a clear distinction between the traps received with different filters? if yes is it possible with v2c or only in v1?
Thank you very much.