What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP default set up

Votes:

Been asked to put in a monitoring type system for a company, and have chosen PRTG, but have no clue on how to set it up. Will be purchasing when we get to the live enviroment, but at the moment I have it as a trail in the lab.

have plugged the server into a layer 3 switch and put an IP on the server in the same range as the switch. ran the GURU but it only picks up the server?

I thought PRTG would go out and pick up the switch and its ports etc? I have no SNMP set up, as I thought it used the default SNMP v1?

Any help would be appreciated, as I would really like to use this..

install setup snmp

Created on Jul 30, 2015 10:40:02 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hey,

go to the device tree and click on settings, now you can see all your default settings and credentials for different systems, including the SNMP settings. You can change this settings in each object (group, device, sensor).

Regards
BirkGuttmann

Created on Jul 30, 2015 12:56:01 PM

Votes:

Thanks, but thats not what I mean, Do I need to set up SNMP on the cisco device for example? or, is this there by default?

Created on Jul 30, 2015 2:12:03 PM

Votes:

This is related to the device, I think snmp isn't acticated by default usually.

To activate SNMP on CISCO Devices:
cisco.com / How to Configure SNMP Community Strings

Created on Jul 31, 2015 6:42:58 AM

Last change on Jul 31, 2015 7:14:47 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.