What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem after updating to Windows 10

Votes:

Hello,

after updating my monitoring PC to Windows 10 I have a funny problem.

It seems the standard Powershell modules are no longer reachable from PRTG.

I have to import for example Microsoft.PowerShell.Management to get Get-WMIObject working.

Kind regards Ingo

modules powershell windows-10

Created on Aug 2, 2015 3:15:56 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Thanks for the hint! With which sensor did you try it? PowerShell v5 seems to have it's caveats as it seems :(

Created on Aug 4, 2015 10:55:37 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It's the EXE/Script Advanced-Sensor.

The sensor and the same script worked without problem under Windows 8.1

Created on Aug 4, 2015 4:24:52 PM

Votes:

Are all PowerShell cmdlets affected that you use in the custom scripts? Just so we know if it's a general problem or just certain cmdlets.

Created on Aug 4, 2015 5:19:52 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

At the moment I'm only using three cmdlets in my scripts which were not running:

• Get-WmiObject
  • Select-Object
  • New-Object

Created on Aug 4, 2015 6:06:19 PM

Last change on Aug 4, 2015 6:14:10 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Alright, thanks. I'll test this tomorrow morning when I have a Windows 10 VM at hand :)

Created on Aug 4, 2015 6:14:33 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just tested it and it really seems that you need to import the modules (at least, for current PRTG versions). Just as a quick note, this works, too:

Import-Module @("Microsoft.PowerShell.Management","PSDiagnostics")

Nevertheless, the execution time is horrible... Windows 8.1 with 402ms vs. Windows 10 taking 4.9 seconds ;(

We'll look into it!

Created on Aug 5, 2015 7:21:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Then at least it's not a problem of the Windows update. I presume you installed the Windows from scratch.

Yeah, aweful runtime, so I'm only importing the necessary modules...

New OS new challenge... :-)

Created on Aug 5, 2015 5:10:35 PM

Votes:

Hello Guys,

just out of curiosity, any news on this case?

Created on Sep 8, 2015 6:27:32 PM

Votes:

We've changed the execution of PowerShell sensors (currently internal canary) so it will load the modules according to the PowerShell version:

if ($PSVersionTable.PSVersion -ge (new-object 'Version' 5,0)) { Import-Module Microsoft.PowerShell.Management; Import-Module Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility};

This should also work with your existing scripts :)

Created on Sep 9, 2015 5:27:38 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.