What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Importing devices

Votes:

I'm currently evaluating PRTG and I've never been a big fan of auto discovery. Is there a method to import devices via CSV? I wish to import as much information about each device as possible. With other products I have used the export function to ascertain the CSV layout before populating and re-importing.

csv device import

Created on Aug 3, 2015 11:26:39 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Paul

Hmm. I don't know. Another Idea would be to add all the IP and Names in your hosts File on the PRTG Server, then use the IP's in the PRTG. According to paessler, If I understood them correct, PRTG will then resolve the names to the IP's

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts

It's quite a hack, but worth a try.

regards Thomas

Created on Aug 5, 2015 9:50:07 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Do you searched for it in the knowledge base?

KB: Importing devices / sensors into PRTG
KB: How to monitor robocopy logs with PRTG
KB: Can I import devices from file (csv, txt, etc.) to PRTG?

I strongly recommend to create devices templates and then make a discovery for devices (not sensors) assign the template (I have 1 for Synology devices, Servers, Client Computers, ESXI Servers, etc).

In a device template you can tell exactly what sensors will be used on a new device if you assigned the template to it.

regards Thomas

Created on Aug 4, 2015 7:13:00 AM

Last change on Aug 4, 2015 7:50:33 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

I obviously did not look hard enough :-)

Some older threads talk about the pasting of IPs into the auto discovery. This won't work because most of our devices are not in DNS. Our SCADA systems are not even in a Windows Domain. BTW, I'm talking network devices here, not computers.

You suggestion regarding the template I assume will use a SNMP sensor to get the hostname?? This is fine if all the network devices have the same SNMP strings or for that matter even support SNMP.

Can I suggest that a CSV import be considered for future feature. An auto discovery is actually an "uncontrolled" way of populating your device list whereas importing via CSV is "controlled" because you know exactly what the outcome will be. We have very well maintained spreadsheets that may be a dated technology, but very accurate.

Thks for your time.

Paul

Created on Aug 4, 2015 8:31:42 AM

Votes:

Hi Paul

Hmm. There is a possibility to use Autodiscovery but only with the DNS Names or IP's given for that specific autodiscovery

Take a look at Autodiscovery - "IP Selection Method" - List of individual IPs and DNS names (ipv4).

http://w77i.imgup.net/ipf0bf.JPG

maybe that is suitable for you?

regards Thomas

Created on Aug 4, 2015 10:45:32 AM

Votes:

Hi Thomas,

If I use a list of IPs then the device will assume the IP address for the host name because of no DNS. I want all our network devices listed by name because our naming convention is location descriptive. Any other ideas on how to correlate the IP to device name per group?

PS. approx 500 network devices.

Cheers Paul

Created on Aug 4, 2015 11:01:24 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Paul

Hmm. I don't know. Another Idea would be to add all the IP and Names in your hosts File on the PRTG Server, then use the IP's in the PRTG. According to paessler, If I understood them correct, PRTG will then resolve the names to the IP's

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\Hosts

It's quite a hack, but worth a try.

regards Thomas

Created on Aug 5, 2015 9:50:07 AM

Votes:

Hi Thomas & Paul,

PRTG will indeed use the name resolution from Windows. If there is no DNS server, the hosts file will be used. Please note that this will require some maintenance and that new address need to be entered manually. Nevertheless, this looks like this could work for you.

Best regards

Created on Aug 5, 2015 11:11:14 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thks guys, why didn't I think of that! Our end points don't change all that often and I'll use the auto discovery for our server subnets. Should be a good workable solution.

Best rgds Paul

Created on Aug 5, 2015 11:31:57 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.