What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unable to monitor Services with WMI

Votes:

I revoked the local admin privileges of the account PRTG uses to monitor our servers out of the local admin group, and went through a couple tutorials to setup WMI access for non-administrative users. I'm successfully monitoring performance (CPU/memory/page file), disk space, and even processes with WMI sensors, but I can not get the WMI Service sensor to work.

I granted the WMI namespace permissions at the root so it's not a namespace issue, when I use WMI test to query "Select * From Win32_Service" as an admin account it works, but as the PRTG account (which is granted access to DCOM & WMI) it does not work. UAC is also disabled on both the PRTG server and it's target device.

I'm guessing there's an additional step beyond the WMI configuration to get this one working (for example to get Disk Space on non-system drives I had to grant the user read access to the root of the disk otherwise it wasn't included in the results from WMI) I just can't find anything documented online.

wmi wmi-sensors wmi-service

Created on Aug 3, 2015 4:32:56 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Yep, it's beyond WMI and non-administrative users simply can't modify/read service states in Windows without some advanced configuration. It's a complex process, explained here:

Stackoverflow Start/Stop A Windows Service From A Non-Administrator User-Account

Created on Aug 4, 2015 10:50:40 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Motoxdr21,

No need to disable UAC. What you need to do is grant the account PRTG uses the right to query services on a remote machine. You can do this through the SCManager, please see instructions below which worked for me.

http://woshub.com/granting-remote-access-on-scmanager-to-non-admin-users/

If you want to give PRTG the right to control services (start and stop services) you will need to grant additional permissions to each service object.

Hope this helps.

Created on May 19, 2022 2:49:33 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.