What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Setting a specific NS server for a device

Votes:

Hi everyone.

I'm monitoring a certain device that has a builtin DNS service in it. I want to add some DNS sensors to resolve the records of certain webistes, but I need to make sure that the check is done specifically through the nameservers on that very device.

The manual for the sensor lists the following explanation under the value "Domain": "Enter the domain name that the sensor resolves using the Domain Name Service (DNS) server specified in the sensor's parent device settings. You can enter an internet domain name here (for example, example.com) or a DNS name in your internal network (such as computer-xyz), depending on the type of DNS server you monitor. You can also enter an IP address here."

I checked the Device Level and even the Group Level but I can't find a nameserver configuration anywhere. Am I missing anything or have I misunderstood the manual?

dns dns-resolution name-resolution nameservers

Created on Aug 5, 2015 7:52:26 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You misunderstood it - it means that it will use the device address as DNS server in order to do the DNS query. So I guess you're all set already :)

Created on Aug 5, 2015 8:21:49 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 5, 2015 8:22:21 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.