What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

manually restart windows service on remote probe

Votes:

Hi All,

I have remote probe installed on a windows 2008 r server.

I have seen sensors which auto-restart service when it is down.

I have also gone through alternatives like PTFLauncher.

But, is it possible to manually restart a service through PRTG server without using PTFLauncher. i.e. i click an option on PRTG server to restart service, probe gets the info and restarts the service and confirms back.

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Joe

probe remote restart service

Created on Aug 10, 2015 7:39:09 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi JohnD

Have you tried to use that manual: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/40713-can-i-automatically-restart-a-windows-service-with-prtg

But pause the sensor, then when you want to start the service, you have to manually un-pause it, wait until the service is up again, then pause the sensor again.

I now, quite a hack but the only thing I can think of when it has to be integrated in PRTG.

regards Thomas

Created on Aug 10, 2015 10:08:02 AM

Votes:

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry i was not clear earlier. I want to keep monitoring the service and auto-restart when it shuts down. Along with it, i want to manually force-restart as and when required.

But i guess this can be achieved using two sensors - one with default auto-restart setting and another to pause-unpause.

This becomes messy if i want to monitor many services at a time...

Any other ideas...

Regards, John

Created on Aug 12, 2015 12:36:26 PM

Votes:

Well, the sensor only restarts it once, every further attempts of restarting have to be done within the service setting. That's the easiest option :)

Created on Aug 13, 2015 8:39:50 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan,

Can you please elaborate on "every further attempts of restarting have to be done within the service setting"

I didn't get this....which service setting are you talking about??

Regards, John

Created on Aug 19, 2015 11:27:27 AM

Votes:

I was talking about the services properties:

1. Launch services.msc
  2. Right click the service
  3. Click properties
  4. Open the "Recovery" tab

You can set the recovery behavior of the service there very granular :)

Created on Aug 19, 2015 12:20:24 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

oh ok.

The service that i want to monitor is of a third party program.

So, when the program freezes, i have to remotely restart the service. Here, the service will still be in "Running" state, so failure is not detected at the service level but at the program level.

The local services.msc recovery tab will not help here.

That's the reason i want an option to remotely restart the service even if it's in running state.

Regards,

Created on Aug 20, 2015 10:34:31 AM

Votes:

Hm that won't work with the default sensor. You'll need a PowerShell script that checks if the service is responding and then take the appropriate action depending on the result. One approach would be to check if the service is responding:

Get-Process | Select Name,Responding | Where-Object {$_.Name -contains "<your-process-name>"}

Created on Aug 20, 2015 12:30:22 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.