New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

Which HTTP status code leads to which HTTP sensor status?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I use some of PRTG’s Web Server (HTTP) sensors. I am not sure if I have to configure the sensors to show a determinate sensor status when receiving a determinate HTTP status code. Is there a rule for that?

http http-sensor prtg sensor-status status

Created on Aug 11, 2015 8:23:04 AM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Applies to PRTG Network Monitor 15.3.18 and later

How a PRTG HTTP Sensor Reacts to HTTP Status Codes

The HTTP sensors show their status depending on the HTTP status codes that they receive.

By default, the sensor states are the following:

HTTP status codeHTTP sensor status
2xx SuccessUp (Green)
3xx RedirectionWarning (Yellow); Down (Red) for too many redirects
4xx Client ErrorDown (Red)
5xx Server ErrorDown (Red)

You need to configure your HTTP sensor(s) manually only if you want to change these default reactions. In this case, you can change the sensor status based on limits and/or keyword checks.

Created on Aug 11, 2015 8:26:13 AM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 14, 2016 5:41:26 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

For several checks, I don't want to a 3xx redirect to mean Warning or Down. How do you override these sensor-state/status-code relationships?

Created on Jun 29, 2016 4:26:31 PM by  dcsgpvan (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

@dcsgpvan: Overriding these value/state pairing is not possible currently. However, you might have a look at this script which could probably be extended.
Best regards

Created on Jun 30, 2016 12:31:14 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.