What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Difference between channel setting based threshold warning and email notification threshold trigger

Votes:

Hi Does anyone could help me figure out the differences between channel setting based threshold warning and email notification threshold trigger.

1, The channel setting based threshold means you could set the warning and limited value on the “wheel” icon for each sensor, after you click the "Enable Limits". There will drop down a list to set the warning value.

2, The email notification trigger for threshold. We also could set the threshold trigger on the notification setting for different groups.

For my understanding is , the 2 places could be the same notification for each sensor, but I don't have idea on the real difference between them. Is there any support that could help me on this question ?

Appreciated.

Thanks

channel notifications threshold

Created on Aug 12, 2015 8:41:35 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Greetings Kelvin,
we appreciate your inquiry.

Your observations are correct, there two features are very similar but they have little peculiarities.

1. The limit configured within a sensor's channel is always immediately triggered (on the scanning interval where it crosses a limit) and the status (OK/Warning/Down) will be displayed in the web-interface and dashboards, but there doesn't have to be an notification for that sensor.
    One is allowed to have multiple notifications on a same sensor, and with limits enabled one can use the state trigger to have very generic and easy to set-up notifications. See also the Paessler website: How to set up notifications via the PRTG web interface.
  2. The threshold and speed triggers on the other hand are not related to limits, they are independent and one can use the per [time]] condition filter to limit false notifications. Those are also only notifications, they will not have a visual or any other impact within the web-interface and dashboards, they are only meant to notify (per e-mail, sms, http, etc).

Fore more details about notifications, please check our Online Manual Pages or check out these two videos:

Best regards,

Created on Aug 13, 2015 5:21:03 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 26, 2021 12:10:53 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.