What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Bandwidth of individual IPs on Sonicwall TZ100

Votes:

I can not seem to figure out how to monitor bandwidth of individual IPs on a Sonicwall TZ100. Thanks.

prtg snmp sonicwall

Created on Aug 15, 2015 6:18:08 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello penguinview, thank you for your inquiry.

SNMP Traffic sensors can only provide general bandwidth per interface statistics, if you require more detailed information, please review this KB article:
How to Discern Excessive Bandwidth Usage using PRTG

It describes the various different approaches to more detailed bandwidth monitoring.

Best Regards,

Created on Aug 18, 2015 5:38:54 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thank you for the reply. I was going to set the sonicwall to mirror traffic to the server running prtg but the sensor for packet sniffer does not seem to be available to add to the server. Thank you.

Created on Aug 29, 2015 7:58:05 PM

Votes:

Hello penguinview, thank you for your inquiry.

Because of the nature of the Packet Sniffer Sensor, it can only be added to Probe devices. If you're unable to add this sensor to a probe device, there should be a message above the sensor explaining the reason, for example:

SENSOR TYPES THAT CAN ONLY BE CREATED ON A PROBE DEVICE

Please share the reason why your PRTG doesn't allow the sensor to be added so that we're further able to understand/help.

Best Regards,

Created on Aug 31, 2015 7:00:48 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano, I'm having this problem: I'm not able to install the Packet Sniffer Sensor, I'm getting the message "SENSOR TYPES THAT CAN ONLY BE CREATED ON A PROBE DEVICE". What should I do?

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 23, 2017 1:36:21 PM

Votes:

Hello Luciano,
thank you for your reply.

As the message states, this sensor can only be created on a so-called probe device (Either the Local Probe or a Remote Probe). This is required because the sensor needs access to the traffic from the local adapters to do the PCAP/Sniffing.

Your Local Probe's Probe device can usually be found under this URL:

http://myprtgserver/device.htm?id=40

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jun 26, 2017 9:22:52 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.