What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Stuck At cache calculation

Votes:

Hi I just updated to the new PRTG V 15.3 , So it rebooted many times and each time starts saying cache calculation then the web interface gets too slow and disconnects , Though i see in task manager prtg services is still running and consuming memory about 4 G , and in prtg sys logs i see cache calculation numbers, but I'm stuck at this process for almost a full day , my sensors are about 2000, and I don't even want any historic data , I deleted all of the files "monitoring data' and the cache files, I left only the config file , I just want to start it running in fast time ,

Please advice should i let it wait or what... ?

cache calculation update

Created on Aug 17, 2015 9:12:58 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If you have 365 days of data for 9000 sensors, the graph data cache recalculation takes some time. During the recalculation, the PRTG performance is noticeably impacted.

The recalculation should not be interrupted. For an installation of this size, it can take longer than 10 hours.

Created on Aug 17, 2015 3:13:42 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Ikn

If you don't need the historic data, please also delete the "PRTG Graph Data Cache.dat" file while the PRTG services are stopped. If you start PRTG again, with no historic data, there should be no graph data cache recalculation as well.

Created on Aug 17, 2015 12:48:04 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Already deleted it , But still when I start the server again calculating and its taking a very long time , Correction: my sensors are about 9000, and cache calculation starts at 15000 number and it reaches like 10000 in 10 hours maybe then it might repeat again or something happened , This done with many restarts with the server and the web interface comes and goes "disconnects"

Created on Aug 17, 2015 1:07:30 PM

Votes:

Dear Ikn

For how many days do you currently have the historic data?

Created on Aug 17, 2015 2:40:05 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Created on Aug 17, 2015 2:53:29 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If you have 365 days of data for 9000 sensors, the graph data cache recalculation takes some time. During the recalculation, the PRTG performance is noticeably impacted.

The recalculation should not be interrupted. For an installation of this size, it can take longer than 10 hours.

Created on Aug 17, 2015 3:13:42 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the hint, Now its back working after almost 20 Hours , Also I changed historic data to 100 D ,

Thanks..

Created on Aug 18, 2015 5:39:43 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.