What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Architecture query

Votes:

Hi All,

As per PRTG manual and Distributed monitoring with PRTG video, communication between Remote Probe and core server CAN be done via SSL.

But, as per the forum topic - Which ports does PRTG use on my system?:

"Connections between remote probes and core and vice-versa is done on port 23560"

So in addition to SSL, does port 23560 need to be opened on firewall?

Or can i just change port 23560 in settings to SSL (443/8443)?

Any help appreciated!

Regards, John

architecture port remote-probe

Created on Aug 17, 2015 1:31:40 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello John,
we appreciate your inquiry.

Please alow me to quote the Distributed monitoring with PRTG video that you've mentioned earlier:

[...]the connection between a remote probe and the core server [...] can even be performed over the public internet since the connection is encrypted[...]

SSL(Secure Sockets Layer) is a form of encryption, as a convention most web-servers run SSL on port 443, that is merely a convention to make the internet standardized, even though PRTG's probe-core communication occurs on port 23560, the connection is encrypted with SSL the whole time.

When configuring your router/firewall for PRTG to allow probe/core communications, the port 443 doesn't have to be allowed between the core and probe, the port 23560 is sufficient.

Port 8443 has to be allowed from the core server to push.prtgcloud.net if you intend to use push notifications.

Best Regards,

Created on Aug 18, 2015 9:46:07 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thanks Luciano.

This solves my query....exactly what i was looking for

Created on Aug 19, 2015 11:25:17 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.