What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Option "When a Sensor Reports an Error" not work

Votes:

hello,

I made a content file sensor on linux samba share. That work and it return a warning with the content that i configured. But the sensor never passed to error, it still on warning.

I configured in the "scanning interval" the option "when a sensor reports an error" to "set sensor down immediately" or "set sensor to warning for 1 internval then set to down" but neither of the two would working

So my sensor never passed to "error" and i can't aknowledge it.

Thanks for help

content error file

Created on Aug 18, 2015 2:59:25 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

That's the problem - this only works when the sensor is bound to get into the error state. This doesn't work when it's in a "Warning" only state :)

Created on Aug 19, 2015 11:37:02 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, but i don't have in the "warning behavior" the choice "get into error status when string is found" .... So in the sensor file content it's not possible to get an error status ?

Created on Aug 19, 2015 1:42:10 PM

Votes:

Could you post a screenshot of the sensor configuration and the notification configuration? I'll set it up like that and see if I can get it to work. Thanks! :)

Created on Aug 20, 2015 12:36:11 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

This is the screenshot link :

http://postimg.org/image/6newf82mj/

I don't have notifications configured, juste the sensor.

You can test the file content sensor with any file on windows share with regular expression.

My sensor is configured on linux samba share, but i don't think this change anything because the sensor work's great and read the file, the problem is that error status never come.

Created on Aug 20, 2015 12:51:37 PM

Votes:

This sensor can only go into a warning state as it seems - no errorneous state for this one I'm afraid. You'll have to work with notifications for warning states then.

Created on Aug 20, 2015 1:11:41 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.