What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Receive Notifications When Internet Connection is Down

Votes:

Hi,

I have always used a ping sensor to ping google.com or another reliable site. This has worked well and provides an excellent report that shows the up-time of the internet connection.

The issue is that if my main probe's internet connection goes down, it cannot alert me because the internet connection is down. I would like to receive a push notification (or whatever notification is set up) when that internet connection goes down. I'm sure this requires a second location with a separate internet connection, so I set up a remote probe via my main probe at a separate site on another internet connection. This works great, except for when it notices that my main probe is not reachable it doesn't seem to send a notification. My assumption has been that the remote probe uses the main probe to send the notification and thus can't because the internet connection is down. Only after the internet connection comes back up do I receive the notification. Is there a way to get an immediate notification of an internet outage without installing a whole new probe at another location so that all sensors can be in the same account?

Thanks!

internet-connection internet-uptime notifications

Created on Aug 19, 2015 7:44:41 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi, I see two possibilities for you:

1. Install a PRTG cluster and put both cluster nodes in different networks with different internet connections, so no remote probe, use a PRTG cluster.
  2. Use a sms gateway, so you get your notification even if you internet is down. You can also set up those sms gateways with a small nagios installation (or other) and monitor the availability of your PRTG servers, so you'd even get a notification, if your PRTG servers don't have a network connection.

Created on Aug 20, 2015 12:44:01 PM

Last change on Aug 21, 2015 5:27:54 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

You could setup a freeware PRTG and monitor your primary PRTG. You can use a free Gmail account (or other smtp) to send emails.

We have a couple freeware PRTG installs on our WAN and use them to keep tabs on various other pieces of our network including our main PRTG install.

Created on Aug 20, 2015 1:59:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.