What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Some SNMP queries failing

Votes:

Up until 8pm last night, we were monitoring a server using SNMP Disk Free sensors. At that time the machine was rebooted and now we're seeing errors for all but C and D drive (others are E, F, G, H, I, J, and Q).

The error message is the same for all, "Could not find data for E:\ Label:Data Serial Number e8becf36", though the label and serial numbers differ of course.

When I try to add a new sensor of that type, only the C and D drives show up as possibilities.

It has a large number of other sensors which still work (ping, uptime, various ethernet and LAN ones, CPU, physical and virtual memory and so on) though I have no idea which of these are SNMP. The thing that's got me is that C and D still work and they're the same sensor type.

What could be causing this? Is Windows able to somehow hide disks from SNMP?

disk prtg snmp

Created on Aug 21, 2015 8:08:16 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Have you tried restarting SNMP on the target server?

Created on Aug 21, 2015 9:07:50 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello we are also facing the same issue, and also when we try adding new SNMP Disk Free sensors it shows all the disk drives and also gets the data for them. Restarting SNMP service on target server does not resolve this issue

Created on Oct 26, 2015 9:23:02 AM

Votes:

Do they still get listed via WMI?

Created on Oct 26, 2015 1:15:09 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

did you guys resolve this problem, i have the same problem with a /dev on a linux machine, and when i add a new sensor it shows only other partitions and not /dev.. any ideas please?

Created on Mar 29, 2018 4:20:44 PM

Votes:

You migh want to use the SSH Disk Free sensor instead - does that one do the trick?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 3, 2018 6:40:02 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Having the same issue. Did you guys resolve this? It's happening with SNMP and WMI sensors... Haven't tried SSH.

Created on Jul 30, 2018 5:07:49 PM

Votes:

Since SSH is not an option on Windows machines (natively, at least), you already tried the available options. Are these drives network volumes or USB drives?

Kind regards,

Created on Jul 31, 2018 7:21:09 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan,

It is a local disk... C drive. It's actually a remote probe lol.

Created on Jul 31, 2018 4:46:57 PM

Votes:

What's the host operating system having this issue?

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 1, 2018 11:03:54 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 1, 2018 11:04:54 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.