What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor packet drops in the site to site VPN connection

Votes:

I am having issues with dropped connectivity between two sites and I notice it when my replication app emails us it lost connectivity but it goes back to normal after a few minuets once or twice a week but the VPN never drops.

The other day I got an email that my replication stopped and I immediately go on and tried to ping the remote server and found most of the pings were getting dropped for about five to ten minuets off and on. I then downloaded Ping Plotter and logged ping traffic for 24 hours and notice I was getting random drops throughout the day but most were not bad enough to stop replication.

I found the Ping Plotter tool to be very useful in this situation but the product is not free and I already own PRTG so I just wanted to know what sensor would work best in for monitoring connectivity to a specific IP address and would let me know when packets were dropped? Also if possible give me info on all the hops as well so I could see where the packets are getting dropped.

icmp ip ping wan

Created on Aug 21, 2015 11:50:08 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear servergrunt

PRTG does not offer a sensor to trace the hops for a ping.

The PRTG ping sensor can be set to multi-ping and in that case, it also offers a packet loss metric.

Am I understanding you right, that you want to not get notified from the Active Directory Replication Errors sensor in the case the device cannot be pinged?

Created on Aug 25, 2015 12:10:58 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am just looking for a way to monitor packet loss when trying to access our DR site over our WAN connection over a period of time. I setup our site as a device and stuck a ping sensor on it and am running it side by side with with the Ping Plotter tool to see if it will provide enough monitoring info for basic trouble shooting and then just use the Ping tool for more granular trouble shooting when there is a deeper issue.

I am sure the ping sensor will work just fine, I have just never used it for small packet loss and more for is the server down or not.

Created on Aug 25, 2015 1:10:57 PM

Votes:

Dear servergrunt

Beside the Ping sensor, we also offer the Ping Jitter sensor and the QOS sensor. The latter needs a remote probe which the sensor can connect to. Any PRTG license allows having remote probes.

Created on Aug 25, 2015 2:05:58 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.