What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Disk space not updating after drive size increase

Votes:

hi, we are using wmi to manage virtual hd and after an increase or decrease the sensors dont pick up the change in size, is there anything i need to do to fix this?

disk hd space virtual wmi

Created on Aug 25, 2015 5:21:05 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi JamesFirth

Try restart wmi services "net stop winmgmt" (and all depending services).

btw: Why not use SNMP? its faster and lesser resources are used.

regards Thomas

Created on Aug 25, 2015 8:28:59 AM

Votes:

Hi Thomas,

that didnt fix it, use wmi for all sesnors, and are trialing the snmp sensors on a few devices to see if there any differences

Created on Aug 26, 2015 6:04:19 AM

Votes:

Dear James

Which sensor exactly are you using? What happens if you create the sensor anew, does the new sensor recognize the actual capacity?

Created on Aug 27, 2015 11:02:36 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi James

Just an odd question (but I need to ask), After you increased the virtual HD, did you extend the Harddrive in Windows as well AND what happens when you recreate the WMI Sensor, does it show you the correct HD size?

regards Thomas

Created on Aug 27, 2015 12:30:11 PM

Votes:

Hi,

i did extend the drive in windows, and i have not recreated a sesnor, i am using the WMI Multidisk sensor, i dont believe that i should have to re-create the sensor, as we need historical data of when the drive changed and capacity. i will add another disk sensor to see if it picks up the changes.

Created on Aug 30, 2015 10:31:58 PM

Votes:

hmm..thats odd. I understand why you don't want to use a new WMI or use snmp. (1 sensor for multiple harddrives is quite handy) I tried with a wmi multidrive sensor and the freespace immediately changed, after I extended a disk with additional 5GB on a Windows 2008 R2.

I use the latest version. Let's wait what happens when you create a new sensor, if the new one still shows the old size.

Created on Aug 31, 2015 2:56:24 PM

Votes:

hi, i created a sensor and it didn't pick up the change, i always have a single disk sensor for monitoring this drive also.

the reason why we dont use snmp is most sites block this via their firewalls

Created on Aug 31, 2015 9:47:58 PM

Votes:

Hi James,

Please use the WMI Tester and perform a Logical Disk scan below the Advanced Tab. Does the returned value match with the value in PRTG?

Best regards, Felix

Created on Sep 2, 2015 10:55:40 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.