What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can't sort custom tables in maps

Votes:

I have created some custom sensor table map objects, to display simple lists of sensors. I have the following poperties in my map object code:

columns="sensor, lastvalue, minigraph" sortby="" sortable="true"

The table column headers appear as clickable links, but clicking on them has no effect, i.e. the table does not sort by the column clicked.

Full map object code is below.

thanks! dan.

<!--Data Tables: Custom Sensor Table-->

<div class="map_object map_table" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="overflow:auto;<#mapobject type="coordinates" 

subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
  <#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">

<#checkobjecttype objecttype="probenode,group,device" nicemessage="true" id="<@objectid>">

<div class="top100listcontainer" style="overflow:hidden">
    <#table tableid="sensortable"
    id="<@objectid>"
    content="sensors"
    columns="sensor,lastvalue,minigraph"
    sortby=""
    infoheader="false"
    links="true"
    sortable="true"
    filter_tags="@tag(<@tagfilterstring>)"
    varexpand=""
    tabletitle=""
    >
  </div>
  <#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

custom maps sensor sort

Created on Aug 25, 2015 10:41:56 AM

Last change on Aug 25, 2015 11:47:37 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Dear dma

The sortable=true property does not work in maps, even though a sort order icon is displayed.

Created on Aug 26, 2015 10:47:48 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

oh that's a shame....any idea if this will be fixed, as it makes the tables difficult to use effectively in maps.

Created on Aug 26, 2015 10:57:32 AM

Votes:

Dear dma

I am sorry, there are currently no plans to implement table sorting for maps. Maps are intended to be used as a display, interactivity is not a focus right now.

Created on Aug 26, 2015 2:39:12 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Oh that's a shame - you seem to have implemented some interactivity features, e.g. clickable objects that link back to other pages. It would be nice to develop the interactivity features more so we can create more useful maps for our users.

The maps could then be used for reporting functions too, since the built-in reports are a bit limited in scope.

Maybe that's another request - a better report builder with fully customisable reports :)

Created on Sep 3, 2015 7:55:46 AM

Votes:

Dear dma

Please allow me to provide a two-fold reply.

• We consider PRTG a monitoring tool first. When we decide how to allocate our development resources, we often go for better monitoring instead of better reporting. This is also our intention going forward.
  • We still improve features likes maps and reports over the time, of course. But we know that we are not a representation or reporting company, we are a network monitoring company. Of course we still optimize the presentation, for example we put a lot of work in our UI which now scales better on wide-screen monitors.

As a solution, we explore ways to allow for easier data export. Our data extractor is already easier to use than to do data export with custom scripts utilizing the PRTG API. We are discussing other, more easier ways to export data for use in dedicated reporting suites.

Created on Sep 3, 2015 12:25:54 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 3, 2015 12:27:16 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm glad you concentrate on the monitoring features, as PRTG really is a great monitoring system. :)

I still feel disappointed that maps/reports do maybe 80% of what they need to do to be super flexible/useful, but just fall a bit short.

Thanks for the link to the data extractor, I will experiment with building a SQL DB and using SSRS/Crystal to do some custom reports.

Created on Sep 3, 2015 8:13:51 PM

Votes:

Hello,

it works fine with sortby="-downtimesince"

Created on Feb 25, 2016 3:14:01 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.