What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Dependancies Not Reflecting Correctly in Network Maps

Votes:

Hi.

I have a question about using network maps with devices that have sensor dependancies set up.

For example.

I have 10 devices. The Switch is connected to the router, and the PC's are connected to the switch.

1. Router
  2. Switch
  3. PC
  4. PC 2
  5. PC 3

Previously without sensor dependencies, if the Router went down, I would get email alerts for all devices. So, to avoid the unnecessary emails i set up dependencies. Now, if the router went down, all other devices dependant on it(Switch + PC's) would pause their sensors and I would only receive an email alert for the Router.

However this has now meant that my network maps do not accurately reflect the scenario at play. All paused sensors(PC's/Switches) now have green connectors line even if their sensor and parent sensor is down.

This is not an accurate reflection of the environment. At the very least, the connecting lines should be blue. PRTG prides itself on accuracy. Green lines on paused sensors are a huge oversight.

Please advise on a fix/work around as soon as possible.

Thanks!

blue green lines network-maps paused-by-dependencies red

Created on Aug 26, 2015 11:46:10 AM

Last change on Aug 26, 2015 12:20:11 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello

Did you use the Dependency option the sensor/device/group settings or a http notification using a api call to pause the sensors/devices? Could you please forward us a screenshot showing the network map to [email protected]?

Created on Aug 27, 2015 12:32:25 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

I have set up dependencies in the device settings page.

For example, the Cisco Switch has a dependency on the routers ping sensor. and the devices are dependant on the switchs' ping sensor.

I have sent the screenshot.

Created on Aug 27, 2015 2:06:03 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for sending the screenshot.

We are able to reproduce this in the PRTG stable version and can confirm this is a current bug. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with a precise ETA on when this issue will be fixed in the stable version, sorry.

Created on Aug 28, 2015 9:30:34 AM by  [email protected]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.