What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Traffic TOTAL does not equal Traffic IN plus Traffic OUT

Votes:

We have an interface on a router being monitored by PRTG via a Traffic Sensor.

The Three values we want to see are:

• Traffic Total
  • Traffic In
  • Traffic Out

However when viewing the graphs (and tables), the IN plus OUT never come close to TOTAL.
It's almost as if the TOTAL and IN sensors are flipped or backwards. Adding OUT plus TOTAL seems to equal IN.

I'm finding this on more and more bandwidth sensors on other interfaces. it's almost like I need to switch the IN and TOTAL names. Any ideas on how to fix this or is it pulling all of these directly from the device?

channel traffic-grapher traffic-total

Created on Sep 1, 2015 6:25:34 PM

Last change on Sep 3, 2015 4:38:41 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

7 Replies

Votes:

Greetings mouseware, we appreciate your contact.

Please clarify, are you using the latest version of PRTG? (As of 03.09.2015 it's version 15.3.18.3616).

If you're running the current version, which exact sensor are you using/deploying? The SNMP Traffic Sensor?

Ideally, upload a screenshot of the issue (on any image-sharing service) and link the screenshot here as we haven't really heard from about similar issues recently/before.

Created on Sep 3, 2015 4:44:55 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

We are on PRTG Network Monitor 15.1.15.2022+. The sensor is SNMP Traffic 64bit. Looking at this specific sensor, it seesm the table is correct, IN + OUT = TOTAL, but the chart has it backwards, OUT + TOTAL = IN. Image posted below.

http://s11.postimg.org/rxcats6n7/2015_09_04_14_03_08.jpg

Created on Sep 4, 2015 6:05:45 PM

Votes:

Seems like the table doesn't match the graph. Either the graph has been put to a step forward/backward with the little arrows beneath it or it's a bug. Can you update to the latest version and see if the problem persists?

Created on Sep 7, 2015 6:23:43 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry for the delay, it has been updated to 15.4.20.4590+ and still shows the same graph where it seems like Traffic Total, plus Traffic Out equals Traffic IN.

Created on Nov 7, 2015 12:22:35 AM

Votes:

Can you try to recreate the sensor and see if it's still wrong? If it was a bug in the sensor itself, the sensor needs to be recreated to get the correct table mapping.

Created on Nov 9, 2015 2:26:47 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 9, 2015 2:26:53 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, it looks like re-creating the sensor seems to fix it. How do I go about fixing this on 1000+ traffic sensors? Having to re-create all of them, name them, assign tags, setup alerting, all while losing historical data. This can't be the only "fix" because it' just not feasible to do this on a global PRTG deployment that's been in place for years now.

Created on Nov 9, 2015 4:48:04 PM

Votes:

That would be quite tedious, I give you that ;) Can you check if cloning works in your case as well? Then it could be done via API, but that relies on the sensors being tagged properly. Can you give me a brief overview of the tagging structure? Do they all still have their bandwidthsensor and snmptrafficsensor tags? I assume that you want every sensor replaced by the new ones? (or at least, create new ones and keep the old ones paused).

Created on Nov 10, 2015 9:29:53 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 10, 2015 9:30:27 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.