What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Web Application Monitoring

Votes:

Hello,

We are using paessler to do a lot of monitoring within our org. I am more of a developer then an admin but I have asked our network team and they aren't certain if this is possible.

We have a web application that will from time to time to go down only for internal folks only. Sometimes only for external folks and sometimes both.

Is there a way to monitor if the application is up or down based on the above at all or what would the best way to do this within paessler be? I am not sure how this server is setup on the network so would seem obvious that they are monitoring other network sources and they would likely go down as well but that does not seem to be the case so want to try and apply some alerting to this particular application.

Thanks

external internal monitoring network web-application

Created on Sep 3, 2015 7:50:59 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

So you want to be alerted if both internal and external? Not sure if I understand that correctly :)

Created on Sep 4, 2015 9:07:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi bline22

I think he wants to be sure if the webpage (or application) is down only for them or for all Internetusers. Maybe the "Cloud" sensor https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/cloud_http_sensor or https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/cloud_ping_sensor is what your are looking for...

cheers Thomas

Created on Sep 4, 2015 2:25:12 PM

Votes:

Either that or he uses the sensor factory sensor to evaluate the status of the "whole" application availability based on both internal and external availability :)

Created on Sep 7, 2015 5:48:52 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the replies and you are right. It would be nice to have 2 separate alerts. One to monitor the application if it is up or down for internal users and a second one to monitor if it is down for external users.

Thomas let me take a look at your links too and forward them on. I am not sure what version of Paesller we have but are the cloud sensors part of any particular version or product by chance that I can send that if needed to make sure we have access to it?

Created on Sep 8, 2015 1:19:23 PM

Votes:

They're included in the latest version of PRTG (15.3.18.3616) - the version can be found in the lower left corner of the webinterface :)

Created on Sep 9, 2015 5:58:47 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Great! Thanks for all the information everyone and we are going to give it a try.

Created on Sep 9, 2015 3:41:49 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.