What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sending of SNMP Trap Messages

Votes:

I would like to send SNMP Trap Messages or report on them. I have a Notification configured with the placeholder %trapmessages configured, but how can I send those messages that will include that placeholder? I don't see any triggers that would help here. My version is 14.3.10.2422.

notifications snmp trap

Created on Sep 9, 2015 10:58:35 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Sam,

You can add a Speed Trigger which triggers after '0' seconds if the number of incoming traps exceeds a certain number, like i.e. '0' if you want to send a notification for each received trap.

Next to this, you can define filters for incoming traps (like the number of the generic trap types or bindings of the traps). This way you can filter for errors and create email notifications if a trap is received. You'll need to add the placeholder "%traperrors" to your email notification: Setup > Account Settings > Notifications.

The Error value is prefabricated with the threshold 0,00000001, which will immediately trigger if an alarm occurs. Now click on the Notification tab of your sensor and add a State Trigger which triggers after '0' seconds.

In order to translate the OID strings to a more comprehensible format, you need to copy the MIB file from the sending device to the PRTG default folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\MIB" and restart the PRTG Core Server Service.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Sep 10, 2015 5:00:23 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.