What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitoring hp procurve switches

Votes:

Hi - I am trying to use PRTG to monitor my hp switches but would like to drill down into more detail, i.e. what types of traffic is flowing over each port? is this possible? At the moment I have the simple RMON sensors and traffic sensors for each port but this doesn't really provide me with application layer detail?

We are considering whether to purchase prtg for my organisation but this could be the deciding point whether we go for it or not ?

As a senario, we have a user that has complained about slow network access but I would like to be able to look at the users port on prtg and work out what traffic has been flowing over their port?

Many thanks,

application hp switch-port

Created on Sep 10, 2015 11:54:34 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi gbirdee

I also use HP switches. What model do you have? It may be possible to use sflow? We also have Cisco ASA's and use netflow sensors. Thats more than enough to check which user uses the most traffic and with what.

regards Thomas

Created on Sep 10, 2015 2:17:54 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.