What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Export Sensors and reimport into new installation

Votes:

Hi there We are planning to install new PRTG-Servers (1 Core- and 2 Probe-Server, changing from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2) with new Hostnames according to our new Naming-Policy. IP's will be the same. The Structure inside PRTG will be a little bit different after new installation.

We've got lots of Custom-Sensors (Oracle-DB, Application-Sensors etc.) which I don't want to create from scratch.

Is there a possibility to "export" all Sensors and re-import the ones I need in a complete new installation?

Due to Name changing and Structure Change I cannot create DB-Snapshot and rebuild from there.

Any help is appreciated Regards

export import installation migration sensor

Created on Sep 16, 2015 8:26:31 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Sorry it's not possible to extract sensors out of the configuration, i.e. do a partial migration. Only a full migration is supported, as outlined here.

Created on Sep 16, 2015 8:51:56 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 16, 2015 10:25:42 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok. Thanks for your quick answer.

Then I have to create the sensors new by drag and drop settings and config from the old installation (luckily we're using vmware-servers).

Regards

Created on Sep 16, 2015 8:59:18 AM

Votes:

I wonder if it would work to do a full migration(clone), and then delete the unwanted sensors on each instance. e.g. clone sensor A B and C from first instance to second instance. then remove sensor A and C from first instance and sensor B from second instance.

Created on Dec 8, 2015 11:20:26 PM

Votes:

Nope :) Risk of rendering the configuration unusable after a lot of effort is pretty high. Start with the larger configuration and auto discover the other infrastructure. Then remove unwanted sensors or add missing ones. That's your best bet :)

Created on Dec 9, 2015 7:46:27 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.