What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Migrate PRTG Cluster from Windows 7 PC's to Windows Server 2012R2 VMs

Votes:

We currently have a prtg cluster consisting of one master node and one failover node located in two separate buildings. We also have several remote probes in other buildings. The current setup is running on windows 7 64bit PCs.

What would be the best approach to migrate the above setup to Windows Server 2012R2 Virtual Machines with minimum downtime and minimum monitoring data loss.

migration prtg virtual-servers

Created on Sep 16, 2015 10:50:00 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Oreilldyr

Hmm Maybe PRTG Support has a better way, but mine would be:

1. Install Windows 2012 as VM's (master and failover)
  2. Install PRTG on both 2012
  3. Stop PRTG on current Windows
  4. Copy databases to new Windows 2012 (master and node)
  5. Give the NEW 2012 the IP addresses the old ones had.
  6. Start PRTG on the NEW ones

Depending how good you are prepared, and it works that way, I would say downtime > 1minute (depends on the size of the DB to copy)

regards Thomas

Created on Sep 17, 2015 9:25:08 AM

Last change on Sep 17, 2015 11:10:26 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Remember to prepare the remote probes as well - they're gonna need the new IP address of the core server. Given that you intend to change it :) Thanks thomas for the small walkthrough! I fixed your post layout to make it a bit more readable - hope that's okay :)

You could also take a look at our migration guide to make sure you don't miss anything.

Created on Sep 17, 2015 11:09:58 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 17, 2015 11:11:07 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.