What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ability to manually run script/application per sensor

Votes:

Hello,

I love the automation aspect of PRTG's sensors, however there are many occasions where I want to be notified of an issue without any automatic action being taken until later when I'm ready.

Simple example - I want to be alerted if the windows print spooler service is not running, but I don't want it to be automatically restarted because someone might have stopped it on purpose to troubleshoot printing issues.

Is there any way to add a right-click menu option that launches a pre-defined script/application/task at the sensor-level, similar to the "Device Tools" menu item at the device-level?

In the above example, I could right-click on the print spooler sensor (which uses wmiservicesensor) and I could then select a "Sensor Tools" menu item which would let me select stop/start.

Other sensors might offer other options when right-clicked, including a "custom" option which might run powershell scripts etc.

Cheers,

custom prtg script service wmi

Created on Sep 17, 2015 9:21:53 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,
currently this is neither possible nor planned. An executable would have to be distributed to every machine the web interface is called from. Also please note that calling an executable/script over web interface on a remote machine is a situation you normally want to avoid at all cost because of security reasons.
Best regards

Created on Sep 18, 2015 12:12:30 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.