What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Scanning Interval for Custom Sensor in PRTG

Votes:

Hello Experts,

I am stuck in a weird situation, Actually I am trying to configure PRTG's EXE/XML Advance sensor that runs a powershell script what my scripts does is that it takes values of a system and stops for a period lets say 5 minutes and again takes values, compare them and displays the result back to PRTG in XML notation. I have set the scanning interval of prtg 5 min. Can any body tell me how the sensor will going to behave.

exe-script-sensor interval pe018 prtg

Created on Sep 22, 2015 8:20:04 AM

Last change on Sep 23, 2015 6:04:25 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Frank

It seems that the script is still running and PRTG wants to execute it again, because the script needs longer then 5 minutes to execute, but the PRTG interval is set to 5 minutes. You also have to configure the timeout (which needs to be bigger then 5 minutes in your case). If the timeout is reached it will kill the process (according to PRTG manual).

regards Thomas

Created on Sep 22, 2015 1:12:07 PM

Votes:

Thomas is correct.
You shouldn't have your script "waiting" for 5 minutes, you may as well write the readings to disk (to any temporary location) and then read it again on the next scanning interval to measure any difference between the current and previous readings and provide PRTG with a quick result.

This article may provide some useful information:
My Powershell scripts takes more than 900 seconds to run and always timeouts, how to get it to work?

Created on Sep 23, 2015 6:03:19 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.