What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG send too much packets to device.

Votes:

Hello, I've installed PRTG and tried to monitor for some time, after several weeks I've got a messages from CISCO device that it's down. From Cisco syslog i saw that PRTG send too many packets to Cisco so, cisco activate self protection mechanism and disabled the SNMP for a min. But i'm wondering why it happen ? during that moment no one was doing anything on server. Could you help me to realize what was the main problem of that, and what PRTG asked to Cisco that cisco decided that it's too much requests and disabled SNMP.

Thanks in advance.

cisco prtg snmp

Created on Sep 25, 2015 6:35:01 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Yeah that confuses me as well. What you could try is to increase the time between the SNMP requests within the device settings, under SNMP Compatability Settings. Set the enable SNMP Requests to 50ms for testing. If it still occurs, increase it to 75, then to 100. Let me know if that worked out :)

Created on Sep 25, 2015 11:30:20 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

9 Replies

Votes:

What Cisco appliance are you using and what IOS version is it running? There's been a bug in a recent version that crashed the system when too many SNMP requests were sent to the device.

Created on Sep 25, 2015 7:39:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here is, Cisco IOS Software, c6880x Software (c6880x-ADVENTERPRISEK9_NPE-M), Version 15.1(2)SY4a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)| I'm also trying to find something on Cisco site, it's the first time for me to met such a problem, and i'm really interested why.

Created on Sep 25, 2015 7:51:09 AM

Votes:

Hm, okay...just how many sensors do you have on that device?

Created on Sep 25, 2015 8:44:47 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan, Thank you for your support. There is 250 sensors on cisco device, and i have 2 cisco devices. That's all what i installed on PRTG, no any other device or any other load was on PRTG server. So in total it's around 500 sesnsors for Cisco device. I'm wondering, you said " too many SNMP requests were sent to the device" as i understand it means that PRTG send this data to Cisco, in that case cisco's reaction for blocking was correct. But why PRTG send this data ? it's shat 2 weeks it's working and one day boom and it failed.. strange for me :( ..

Created on Sep 25, 2015 10:43:35 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Yeah that confuses me as well. What you could try is to increase the time between the SNMP requests within the device settings, under SNMP Compatability Settings. Set the enable SNMP Requests to 50ms for testing. If it still occurs, increase it to 75, then to 100. Let me know if that worked out :)

Created on Sep 25, 2015 11:30:20 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Alright, i'll try to.. But I don't think that i'll have chance to catch the problem again. Trial version will expire soon, so there will be only 100 sensors available, and i'm not sure when we can get a license for it.. Anyway I'll try to use your suggestion and monitor it.. May be it's Cisco bug as well, but i didn't find it on cisco web site.. :(..

Thanks Stephan.. Cheers.

Created on Sep 25, 2015 12:21:09 PM

Votes:

Alright, let me know if it worked :/ Drop a mail to [email protected] if you need to extend your trial phase :)

Created on Sep 28, 2015 7:03:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Wow, Thanks... Till now everything works perfectly..

Created on Sep 28, 2015 10:41:27 AM

Votes:

Nice! :) Keep an eye on it.

Created on Sep 28, 2015 11:20:36 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.