What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Dependency for Workstations

Votes:

Hi there I am trying to create a group of sensors called workstations What I would like these sensors to do is ping the workstation every hour or so, but if there is no response from the ping sensor not report it but pause the other sensors, when the machine responds to Ping's I would like it start up the sensors in that group

dependency prtg sensor

Created on Sep 25, 2015 10:00:18 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Ashley

I think you have to use something like this to achieve that. https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/37743-start-or-pause-sensor-from-command-line

You have to create a script (with a custom sensor) which pings the workstation, If ping respond is OK then resume the sensor/device or pause it if ping does not respond.

regards Thomas

Created on Sep 25, 2015 12:24:30 PM

Votes:

Hi Ashly,

You can use the integrated dependencies feature from PRTG: Go to the settings of the sensors or the device, click on the settings tab and unfold the Schedules, Dependencies and Maintenance setting. Here you can set the Dependency Type to Select Object and choose the ping sensor. This will pause the sensors as soon as the dependent ping sensor goes into a down state.

Furthermore, you can automatically acknoweledge the ping sensor to not show an alarm status by following this guide.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Sep 28, 2015 5:19:41 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.